resources

News & Resources

Latest News

Stay up to date with our latest association news

Once a month the ACPE Professional Ethics Commission (PEC) posts a couple of statements from our Code of Professional Ethics for ACPE Members.  Each posting is accompanied by a brief personal reflection from a commissioner of the PEC sharing some ways this person lives these commitments*. January’s statements are:

1. In relationship to those served, ACPE members:

a. Affirm and respect the human dignity and individual worth of each person.
b. Do not discriminate against anyone because of race, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religious/spiritual tradition, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
c. Respect the integrity and welfare of those served or supervised, refraining from disparagement and avoiding emotional exploitation, sexual exploitation, or any other kind of exploitation.

For January, Julie Hanada, ACPE Certified Educator, Seattle, WA, comments:

January’s edification article starts at the beginning of ACPE’s Code of Professional Ethics for CPE Members, thereby naming our most important values. And, these are the ones most often cited in ethics complaints. 

Nelson Mandela noted, “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

I am a product of my cultural and social upbringing. I have been taught and conditioned to judge, be cautious, and avoid people of some demographics. In my life as a priest and especially as an ACPE Certified Educator, I have also learned to question and challenge these biases and relearn to love and respect others. And, I know, it is an ongoing, intentional and focused effort. These first code statements, to affirm and respect and to not discriminate are resolutions I commit to as a member of ACPE.  (As a reminder, the ACPE Accountability for Ethical Conduct Policy Report Form is to be signed yearly.) 

January is the month for making New Year’s resolutions. Usually mine have centered around getting more exercise and sleep. I understand the importance and value of these yet struggle to maintain a consistent routine that is best for my health. It is all too easy to let a day (or night) go by and then suddenly (or so it seems to me) my new routine and resolutions are lost and need to be reconstructed. By the time this article appears we will be close to the end of January, when encouragement to continue or return to our resolutions begins to appear in nearly every one of my newsfeeds. And so, here it is, too. I will need to engage in a wide range of podcasts, books, documentaries, and conversations to see and catch myself from slipping into biases and learn and relearn what it means to respect and love others. I will also attend this year’s ACPE conference. I will review ACPE's Online Learning Resources more often. These are resolutions I cannot let slip. I hope we can engage in more conversations, too. 

*Every situation is unique, and any member should not act based solely on the comments in the article but to base action on an independent review of the ethical standards applicable to his/her situation.