The International Student Visitor Program 

Under the authorization of the U.S. Department of State’s Exchange Visitor Program, the ACPE sponsors international students on the J-1 Visa in the Trainee category.  All international students in this category must have either: 1) a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in his/her occupational field acquired outside the United States, or 2) five years work experience outside the United States in his/her occupational field, and who enters the United States to participate in a structured and guided work-based training program in his/her specific occupational field.  The maximum time allowed for a trainee is eighteen (18) months.  There are no extensions allowed beyond these maximums.

ACPE cannot renew a J-1 visa. Anyone currently on a J-1 must return to their home country for 2 years before they are eligible for a new J-1. This is a US State Department policy; not an ACPE policy. To our knowledge, all appeals of the J-1's 18-month stay limit have been denied.

Because the J-1 no longer works for SES/CEC folks, we asked Alexander Volpe, an expert in student and religious visas, to offer an opinion of our best options. ACPE is happy to provide letters of support, consultation, and recommendations for these options; we are not, however, able to provide funding for legal fees, travel, or applications.

Required J-1 Visa Application Materials

Admissions Interviews
Form DS-7002 (TIPP)
Proof of Insurance
Advanced or Additional Training
Minimum Weekly Hours
Mid-Point and Final Evaluations

Expand all

Collapse all

The ACPE office will work with you, but the following deadlines will assure you timely attention to your international student application:

January 1: accepting international students for summer and submission of all materials to ACPE

March 1: accepting international students for the August-September-October unit and submission of all materials to ACPE

ACPE is not authorized to process a change of visa status request for international students currently in the United States.  All visa certificates that we issue must be approved at a U.S. Embassy in the student’s home country. 

A current application packet and training plan is available here:

If you have additional questions about ACPE's international student visitor program, contact  Kimberly Palmer in the ACPE office.